YOUTH SERVICES ASSISTANT – Gaffney Library
Part-time, 20-hour average per week, FLSA non-exempt position
Schedule: Monday 4-7 PM, Tuesday 3-7 PM, Wednesday 4-7 PM, Thursday 3-7 PM, Saturday 9 AM-4 PM
Under the direction of the Youth Services Manager, the Youth Services Assistant aides in the preparation and implementation of youth programming as well as providing assistance to patrons, especially in regards to children and teen collections.
Applicants who do not meet the availability and minimum education and experience requirements indicated in this job posting or do not have the ability to perform the essential functions for the position, with or without accommodation, will not be considered for employment.
Starting wage is $8.00 per hour. Works under direct supervision of the Youth Services Manager. Must be at least 16 years and up to apply.
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma preferred
- Proficient computer skills, especially with Internet and Microsoft Office applications; experience with iMacs preferred
- Customer service oriented
- Ability to exert 50 pounds of force occasionally and 10 pounds of force frequently; ability to perform other physical tasks frequently, including stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs circulation tasks: checks books in and out, collects fines, places books on hold, registers patrons for library cards;
- Re-shelves and straightens books and other library materials;
- Instructs patrons on library resources and use of library equipment; assists patrons in finding library materials; performs reader advisory service;
- Assists patrons with reference questions; helps patrons locate reference materials; responds to patron inquiries and questions over the telephone and in person;
- Assists patrons using public PC’s for Internet access and/or using Microsoft Office applications; monitors usage of public PC’s by patrons, including enforcement of library policies;
- Assists and instructs children and teens in the use of the Learning Resource Center;
- Assists with the preparation and implementation of children and teen programs;
- Assists in the final processing and organization of children’s materials;
- Creates visual displays throughout children’s area as directed;
- Performs related tasks as required.
If interested in applying for this position, please submit a Cherokee County Public Library Application form, available at the Gaffney and Blacksburg library locations and on the library’s website at www.cherokeecountylibrary.org. Resumes and/or cover letters may also be submitted, but will not be accepted without a completed application. Position is open until filled.